Everyone has posted about the first day of school so I guess I must too or fail completely as a mother. I think I haven't wanted to cuz I screwed it up about as much as humanly possible. In my head I pictured me sweetly kissing the top of his head as he marched bravely into class, pausing to briefly look back and wave reassuringly as I wiped a tear from my eye. None of that happened. What did happen was I kinda forgot it was the first day of his academic career. Then suddenly at about 12 I realized and tried to stuff a p&j sandwich down his throat while simultaneously dressing him and combing his hair. He wanted to ride his bike so we jumped on and took off and I thought it was all gonna work out, I even had my camera to capture the moment. But no. I forgot the paperwork I thought was needed and we had to turn back. we again took off on our bikes with hope in our hearts when about half way there Ty started walking his bike. Frustrated and confused I yelled things I'm not proud of only to realize his bike chain had come off. Leave It! I desperately screamed and he ran across the road(NOT at the crosswalk). We arrived sweaty and crazy eyed to see his class had already gone into the building. They were still in line outside of the room so he got in the back of the line and noisily greeted his friends which caused the teacher to shh him and give him the stink eye- only the first of many I'm sure!
7 comments:
That is a way better story then the way you had imagined it. You crack me up.
Sounds like Tavis' first day of preschool this year. We were fifteen mintues late with all the emotions and frustration of running late. I have asured myself he will forget all about the crazy MOm times and just remember the happy sweet MOm. Don't you think???
That was way more fun to read than if it would have gone perfect or smoothly, it made me laugh although I know you weren't laughing at the time!!
The first day was a bit anticlimactic, even for those of us who were so nervous we showed up 15 minutes early. I seriously had hives the whole morning leading up to walking to school. When the teacher came out, she was drinking a Coke and acted like it was just another ho-hum day - nothing special at all. So really, don't feel bad. You are a wonderful mom and Ty is the sweetest boy ever!
At least you made it right? I think I would have given up half way there and gone home.
Ha, ha! Great story! And who cares if he gets the stink eye from the teacher... at least he'll have lots of friends, right? :)
By the way, I can't bring myself to get facebook. You'll just have to keep leaving those "long" funny comments on the blog instead. They really make my day!
hey Trish, it happens. Don't be too hard on yourself. You're a great mom :)
Post a Comment