Tate had his first surgery today to remove the Giant Nevus (otherwise called a really big mole) that he was born with. For my own record and for those of you who might wonder, I'm going to explain what he will be going through for the next year. His nevus is on his head and besides some black hair that grows out of it, its completely unnoticeable. When he was born, it was a little scary because it is related to a incurable nerve disorder with an 80 percent death rate. But we ruled that out at two months with an MRI and I thought of it as a cute little mark that made him special. However there is a chance that it can cause melanoma, so although cute its deadly and like clay says "removing it is a pain, but if he got cancer that would be a bigger pain" (so wise) so after alot of thought and prayer we have decided to remove it. Which brings us to today. He had a skin expander (that was specially made to fit around his mole) put under the skin on his head that is adjacent to the mole. The skin expander is like a balloon, In his case its shaped like a horseshoe.For the next few months we will fill it up weekly with saline til it stretches as much as it can. Then they will cut off some of the mole and pull over the extra skin they have stretched to cover that area. Then we do the whole process again till the whole mole is removed. I'm hopin we only have to do it twice. So that's the story of the mole. Anyway the surgery went really good and Tate is doing great. He keeps trying to take his headdress off and says owie alot but we made him laugh once today so i think he'll be okay.
6 comments:
Bless your hearts. I bet it was hard to let your baby go into surgery and I'm sure there are many more challenges to come before the ordeal is over. Thank goodness he's such a happy little guy with such a great parents. And what a cutie too! He'll be in our prayers!
It was so fun to see you guys. You really have to stop on your way through later this year.
It'll be a perfect way to break up your long drive and stay for a visit!
I am glad he did good...little trooper. And I love the new family picture...so cute, you look so pretty!
Cute little Tate! Even when you know things will be alright, surgery is never fun.
I also like your family photo! Getting four people to look lovely and happy all at the same time is no small task, which is why we haven't had a family picture in a very long time.
Trisha, I will be praying for you and Tate. You have a great additude about the whole thing that is so important. What a little sweet heart. Please post more pictures of him as time goes by I am interested to see how he looks. Love you
Shellie
I'm glad things went well and I hope they continue to do so. I'll keep you in my prayers.
I got your blog from jenny i hope you don't mind me looking at it. I am so happy to hear tate is doing well what a little trooper! We also have a blog check it out if you would like its brettandbecca.blogspot.com
Becca muir
Post a Comment